Friday, May 27, 2005

A morning outdoors

It had been two weeks since I had done any serious birding. I had no class today, so this morning seemed a good one to devote to my new hobby.

I started by walking down to the golf course. Although I walked for a while, I didn’t really see anything. Chickadees, Cardinals, Blue Jays – I saw the basic birds but nothing more. By about eight, golfers were beginning to come out. Since they pay to be on the course, I decided I would relinquish my birding field to them.

Next, I walked in the opposite direction, down toward Audubon Park and Duck Creek. I saw a Great Blue Heron and a Great Egret fly overhead. A hawk also flew by, but I was unable to identify it.

I saw a woodpecker perched on a telephone pole. It proved very uncooperative. I spent several minutes walking back and forth through nearly chin-high grass, but I never got a really good look. Later on, however, a Red-bellied Woodpecker came right into the open, allowing me a long look at it.
I walked as far as I could without going to the already-crowded park, but soon I had to turn around. I was back by nine – just in time to help feed my little brothers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home